Is this for me?
This is the first post in our series of posts on Managing Moments. Each post will focus on one component of the Managing Moments method.
We will focus on the application of Managing Moments to one scenario: Using technologies to enhance learning. A wide variety of technologies are available for learning. Over the years, we have experimented with many tools. Moments or unexpected events bring clarity on the use of these tools. For example, a conversation with a member of our networks makes us aware of a new possibility.
Moments spark the following kinds of questions:
Awareness: Is this technology right for us?
Discovery: What is doable with this technology now?
Direction: What should we do next with this technology?
Integration: How can use this technology to learn daily?
Transformation: How are we enhancing learning with this technology?
Together: Who can we talk to now about this technology?
This post focused on the first question.
Awareness: What we need
Choosing the right technologies is challenging because it is difficult to identify requirements clearly. Often, experimenting with a variety of technologies helps us discover what technology can do to enhance learning. The following requirments have taken shape through our exploration of many technologies:
1. Organizing information in small chunks
2. Compiling large amounts of information
3. Recording information quickly
4. Grouping information in different ways
5. Categorizing information in different ways
6. Linking information in different ways
7. Re-arranging information in different ways
8. Locating information easily
9. Viewing information in different ways
10. Selecting and presenting information in different ways
11. Sharing information in social media
12. Collaborating with others
The answer to the question "Is this for me?" is not a simple yes or no! Below are our current answers to this question:
Awareness: Technology Tools: Is this for me? Yes, Use daily
Awareness: Technology Tools: Is this for me? Yes
Awareness: Technology Tools: Is this for me? Maybe
Awareness: Technology Tools: Is this for me? No
As we explore each component of the managing Moments framework, we will add it to the journey below. You can also view the journey here.